The ground beneath Union Street carried Roman-era occupation long before any of its recorded history. Archaeological excavations at 10–18 Union Street, reported by Kieron Heard in the journal London Archaeologist and hosted by Layers of London, found the site sat on the western edge of a sand-and-gravel island that rose above the surrounding Thames-side marshes at the time of the Roman invasion in AD 43, roughly 30 metres west of the Roman road linking Watling Street and Stane Street to London Bridge — dry, buildable ground in an otherwise waterlogged landscape, centuries before Southwark had streets at all.
The site that became Union Street carried institutional weight long before the street's name was minted. In the area stood Cross Bones Burying Ground, located at the northeast corner near Red Cross Way. Per the Survey of London, the ground remained unconsecrated, though it was used as a parish burial ground from the middle of the seventeenth century until 1853; tradition holds that it was the burial place for the 'single women' of Bankside's stews — those whose lives and deaths fell outside respectable parish charity. The Bishop of Winchester held the lease. The burial ground measured approximately 133 feet north-south and 153 feet east-west.
A workhouse was constructed on the land at the present site of Southwark Bridge Road Fire Station in 1779–80, predating the street's own formal existence. In 1782, Union Hall was erected on the south side, built to serve as a meeting place for Surrey county justices. Both institutions anchored what would become Union Street as a place of civic and poor-law administration.
Georgian Building and Early Trade
By 1789, the surveyor George Gwilt the elder had constructed several houses on the north side of the street, east of the burial ground. Gwilt was surveyor to the Surrey and Kent Commissioners of Sewers, district surveyor of St. George's Parish, and surveyor to the Clink Paving Commissioners — a man of local standing. He occupied No. 18 (formerly No. 8) with his son and established a museum of local antiquities at the house, which included drawings of Roman pottery, a pursuit reflecting the antiquarian curiosity of his time. That house was demolished at the nineteenth century's end.
In 1791, the vestry allocated the southwest corner of the burial ground to the Boys' Charity School, which had been relocated from a Dark Alley near Montague Close. The school supported seventy boys through Collett's Gift charity and voluntary subscriptions, plus twenty more through the Newcomen Charity. The site is now occupied by St. Saviour's Parochial Schools.
Trade and Continuity
By the mid-nineteenth century, Union Street had become a centre of the hat trade and furriers, per the Survey of London. Samuel Cashshaw, hat manufacturer, occupied No. 100 from 1817 to 1844. Lincoln and Bennett, hat manufacturers, held No. 104 from 1850 to 1861. Steele and Foster, hatters and furriers, occupied No. 102 from 1864 to 1873, anchoring the street's reputation for the trade.
Two addresses show remarkable continuity. Nos. 59 and 61, with early nineteenth-century brick facades, originated from the Southwark Park Estate and were ground-leased by the Bishop of Winchester in 1820 to Arthur Pott and others, who in turn leased them to John Allsop in 1821. The Survey of London also states the firm of Allsop, turners and brushmakers, was in occupation of the premises from 1787 until 1880 — a date that predates the 1820–21 leases by over three decades, a gap the source itself does not explain. In 1882, Joseph Watson & Co., yeast manufacturers, took over the premises and held them into the twentieth century.
AD 43
Roman-Era Dry Ground
The site sits on a sand-and-gravel island above the surrounding marsh, near the Roman road to London Bridge.
1774
Eastern Portion Authorized
Act of Parliament authorizes a carriage way from Borough High Street through the Greyhound Inn into Queen Street.
1779–1780
Workhouse Built
A workhouse is constructed on land at the present site of Southwark Bridge Road Fire Station.
1781
Eastern End Opens
The eastern portion of the street opens to traffic.
1782
Union Hall Built
Union Hall is erected on the south side as a meeting place for Surrey county justices.
1789
Gwilt's Houses
Surveyor George Gwilt the elder constructs houses on the north side, including his own residence at No. 18.
1813
Street Named Union Street
Queen Street and Duke Street are consolidated and renamed Union Street.
1853
Cross Bones Closed
Cross Bones Burying Ground closes, ending two centuries of use as an unconsecrated parish burial ground.
1908
Charlotte Street Incorporated
Charlotte Street is incorporated into Union Street.