The land beneath Montague Close carried a Roman road nearly two thousand years before the close existed. Excavations directed by Graham Dawson between 1969 and 1973, published in the Surrey Archaeological Society's research volume, uncovered a subsidiary Roman road aligned toward Lambeth, leading to the London Bridge bridgehead, with gravel-extraction pits and a roadside ditch flanking it, and later clay-and-timber buildings alongside the route.
Roman era
Roman Road
A subsidiary road leading to the London Bridge bridgehead crosses the site.
1215
Hospital Refounded
Peter des Roches refounds St Thomas's Hospital, already established alongside the older St Mary's Priory on this site.
1408
Gower's Will
John Gower, resident at the priory when old and blind, makes his will.
1544–5
Site Granted to Browne
Sir Anthony Browne receives the site following the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
1592
1st Viscount Montagu Dies
Browne's son, the 1st Viscount, dies; the title and property pass to his grandson.
1599–1606
Recusancy & Imprisonment
Lady Montague's house searched for recusants in 1599; the 2nd Viscount Montagu committed to the Tower on 15 November 1605, released the following August on payment of £200.
1625
Property Sold
Sold to Robert Bromfield and Thomas Overman — sources disagree on what followed.
1775 / 1830
Two Separate Events
Sixty messuages recorded on the site by 1775; the Overman almshouses demolished separately in 1830 for the new London Bridge approach.
1883
Montague Chambers Built
The surviving Victorian building on the close, on Southwark's local heritage list.
Did You Know?
According to Layers of London, the priory here claimed the ancient right of sanctuary and became a hideout for debtors, one of several such refuges in old London known as an "Alsatia" — a striking detail from a single secondary source, searched for but not found in any other record consulted for this page.
A priory stood on this ground through the medieval period, alongside St Thomas's Hospital, refounded in 1215. The poet John Gower was resident at the priory when old and blind; his 1408 will included bequests to the prior, canons, and servants of St Mary Overie, and he was buried in the church, where his tomb with effigy still survives — a memorial older than Montague Close itself.
When Sir Anthony Browne received the property in 1544–5, the site's sacred character gave way to a Tudor mansion known informally as "St Mary Overies." His son, who became the 1st Viscount Montagu, likely inhabited the prior's house itself, and died on 19 October 1592.
Religious tension followed under his successor. Authorities searched Lady Montague's house for recusants in 1599; an unsubstantiated tradition later linked the site to the Gunpowder Plot's discovery, though this appears to be confusion between the names Monteagle and Montague. The 2nd Viscount Montagu was committed to the Tower on 15 November 1605 and released the following August on payment of £200 — no evidence tied him to the Plot itself, though Guy Fawkes had once worked in his household. By 1625 the estate was sold to Robert Bromfield and Thomas Overman — and the two sources disagree on what came next. The Survey of London records that the new owners replaced the site's "meane Cottages" with superior houses; Layers of London instead describes Bromfield building low-value cottages and leasing a wharf, with Montague House itself becoming a public house. Both cannot be fully right, and nothing in either source resolves the conflict. By 1775 the property comprised sixty messuages and four wharves. Separately, in 1830, the Overman almshouses were demolished for the approach to Rennie's new London Bridge — a later, distinct event, not necessarily the same buildings counted in 1775. Montague Chambers, on Southwark's local heritage list, rose in 1883 and still stands.
As a priory it claimed the right of sanctuary — and became a hideout for debtors, one of several such refuges in old London known as an “Alsatia.”
Layers of London, Montague Close record — single-source, not yet corroborated