Time Walk
The First Street the Board Ever Made




Walk down Southwark Street today and you are treading on London's breakthrough moment — the first street cut through by the Metropolitan Board of Works, the body that would reshape the Victorian capital. That fact alone is enough to earn it a footnote. But the real story is the demolition: 400 houses, razed to clear the path from London Bridge to the West End. What rose in their place was not just a street, but a working manifesto for the age — a road with a hidden nervous system, utility tunnels running beneath it like the circulatory system of a modern city. That engineering ambition, and the buildings that followed, made Southwark Street the template for everything that came after.
Name Origin
A Simple Geography
Southwark Street takes its name from the parish of Southwark, in which it sits. Unlike many Victorian thoroughfares, which inherited old route names or were named for landowners and patrons, this street was deliberately created as a new commercial artery, and its name simply reflected its location — straightforward administrative nomenclature, per Wikipedia.
History
The First Work of the Metropolitan Board
In April 1856, the St Saviour's District Board petitioned the Metropolitan Board of Works to create a new street connecting the South Eastern Railway terminus at London Bridge with the West End, per the Survey of London. The petition bore fruit: powers to construct Southwark Street were obtained through the Covent Garden Approach and Southwark and Westminster Communication Act in 1857. Construction followed, and the street was completed in 1864 — a transformation that required the demolition of approximately 400 houses to cut through the tight medieval street pattern of Bankside and Southwark.
The engineering was as bold as the demolition. Southwark Street was designed for the Metropolitan Board of Works by Joseph Bazalgette, per Layers of London, and it pioneered a novel feature: a tunnel running under the centre of the road with communicating side passages to carry gas, water, drain pipes, and telegraph wires. This underground infrastructure was revolutionary — a single purpose-built conduit for the utilities that made modern cities work, instead of the chaotic network of competing pipes and cables that had clogged older streets. The street formed part of the A3200 from completion onwards, connecting access to London Bridge, Southwark Bridge, and Blackfriars Bridge, positioning itself as a vital east–west artery in the southern bank of the Thames.
Southwark Street was the first street to be made by the Metropolitan Board of Works, an accolade that marked it as the prototype for the Board's later, far more ambitious street-building campaigns across London. Its success — both the engineering and the commercial viability of the route — set the template for how major thoroughfares could be driven through dense historic fabric without crippling the city's ability to function.
The Hop Exchange and Central Buildings
The most distinctive building on the street rose almost immediately. No. 24 Southwark Street — the Hop and Malt Exchange — was designed by R. H. Moore and completed in 1866, per Southwark Heritage. It was an ornate six-storey building intended to serve as a trading floor and office complex for hop factors and hop merchants — a purpose-built commodity exchange in the tradition of the Victorian market halls. The anticipated hop trade never materialised, however; the factors and merchants all had their own premises and saw no need for a centralised exchange. The building was subsequently divided up for general office use and became known as Central Buildings, though the original Hop Exchange name was later revived.
The building suffered a severe setback when fire destroyed the original two upper storeys on 20 October 1920, and it sustained further damage from enemy action during World War II, yet remains an impressive Grade II listed structure — a survivor of the street's first generation of commercial ambition.
Later Commercial Development
Between 1864 and 1875, commercial buildings were erected on either side of Southwark Street, establishing it as a thriving business address. That momentum continued into the twentieth century. In 1932, Borough Market built a formal gateway with administrative offices at Nos 6 and 8. In 1958, the Trustees of Borough Market erected St Margaret's House, a small office building at the junction with Stoney Street. The former Menier Chocolate Factory, built in the 1870s, was converted into an arts complex with an art gallery, restaurant, and theatre, opening in 2004. At the western end, the Blue Fin Building — the headquarters of IPC Media — was completed in 2007, representing modern commercial Southwark. Bankside Studios, at 76–80 Southwark Street, is a striking contemporary presence, cantilevered over the street itself with distinctive multicoloured window frames.
A curious detail survives at the south-west corner of the junction with Great Guildford Street: a building numbered 59½ — a fractional address that speaks to the irregular subdivision of the original plots.
Culture
Paint, Chocolate, and the Largest Painting in Britain
Southwark Street has become a destination for contemporary culture alongside its historical commercial function. The Menier Chocolate Factory's conversion into an arts complex created new cultural life, while several buildings on the street carry Grade II listed status — 1B (listed 1989), 3 (listed 1998), 49 (listed 1998), 51 and 53 (listed 1996), and 89 (listed 1998) — marking them as valued survivors of the street's architectural heritage, per Historic England.
The street's walls also carry other public signage: lettering spelling "Bankside" is placed against the pavement on the north side under the railway bridge carrying trains to Blackfriars Station, reinforcing the area's identity. These interventions — both historical preservation and contemporary art — have woven Southwark Street into the cultural fabric of Bankside, a neighbourhood that has evolved from industrial and commercial hub into a mixed-use creative destination.
The tunnel beneath Southwark Street, completed in 1864, was a Victorian marvel of hidden infrastructure — gas, water, drains, and telegraph wires all running in communicating passages below ground, out of sight. It was the ancestor of all the modern utility tunnels that run beneath London's streets today.
Today
From Railway Terminus to Cultural Quarter
Southwark Street today is a working commercial thoroughfare in Bankside, alive with offices, galleries, restaurants, and creative businesses. The street connects directly to London Bridge station and the surrounding transport hub, fulfilling the 1856 petition's original purpose — but the commercial culture has expanded far beyond the Victorian commodity exchanges and warehouses that once dominated it. The Blue Fin Building represents the modern office sector; the Menier complex exemplifies the creative reuse of industrial space; the Hop Exchange, despite its fire and bombing, remains a Grade II listed landmark. Public art and contemporary design sit alongside listed Victorian buildings, creating a palimpsest of London's hundred and sixty years of commercial identity on this one half-mile of street.
On the Map
Southwark Street Then & Now
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is it called Southwark Street?
Southwark Street takes its name from the ancient parish of Southwark, in which it is located. The street was deliberately created as a new commercial thoroughfare in the 1850s–60s, and was named simply for its geographic location within the parish, not for any historical route that preceded it.
Why is Southwark Street historically significant?
Southwark Street was the first street ever made by the Metropolitan Board of Works, completed in 1864. It pioneered a revolutionary underground utility tunnel with side passages carrying gas, water, drainage, and telegraph wires — a prototype for modern infrastructure that set the template for the Board's later street-building across London. Its construction required the demolition of approximately 400 houses, a scale of urban intervention unprecedented at the time.
What is the Hop Exchange?
The Hop and Malt Exchange, at No. 24 Southwark Street, was a six-storey building designed by R. H. Moore and completed in 1866. It was intended as a commodities trading floor and office complex for hop factors and merchants, but the anticipated hop trade never developed. It was subsequently used as general office space (becoming known as Central Buildings) and later revived under its original name. Despite fire damage in 1920 and wartime bombing, it remains a Grade II listed building and is one of the most impressive survivors of the street's first generation of commercial architecture.