Time Walk




Walk south along Norwood Road today and it still bends and dips in the way the Survey of London describes as the surviving course of the old Night's Hill Lane. Brockwell Park opens to the west, close to where Brockwell Hall once stood in 1810. Further on, the stuccoed, semi-basemented pair of villas at Nos. 119 and 121 sit quietly behind their fronts, survivors of the road's earliest building phase. Continue south and the terraces at Nos. 543–551 mark the mid-19th-century urbanisation of the old turnpike route, before St Luke's Church rises over the junction where Norwood Road meets Knight's Hill and Norwood High Street — a junction Lambeth Council's conservation appraisal notes once gave the road one of its earlier names. On the traffic island there, the 1896 drinking fountain to Mrs Woodford Fawcett still stands, and beyond it the ragstone gateway designed by William Tite once opened onto the old South Metropolitan Cemetery.
Name Origin
The name Norwood is, the Survey of London explains, derived from the North Wood, the great tract of woodland that once covered the hilly country of north Croydon and the southern parts of Lambeth. Norwood Road takes its name from that wider district, one of several roads converging on the old settlement of West Norwood.
The road's own name shifted more than once before settling. The Survey of London records that it followed the course of a lane called Night's Hill Lane, and the houses now numbered 119 and 121 were, when built in the 1820s and 1830s, still addressed on "Norwood Lane." Lambeth Council's conservation area appraisal adds a further layer, noting the road was earlier known as Church Road, a name taken from St Luke's Church, which commands the junction of Knight's Hill, Norwood High Street and Norwood Road. By 1806, however, a map already shows the road labelled Norwood Road, then reckoned as running through "Lord Thurlow's Copyhold" — evidence, the appraisal suggests, that the modern name was fixed well before the surrounding fields were built over. Continuing south along Knight's Hill, the road formed part of the old Turnpike to Croydon, a route that shaped its straighter southern stretches even as its northern end kept the older lane's winding course.
History
Until the start of the 19th century this was remote country. The Survey of London describes the whole Norwood area as inaccessible at that date, its roads from the north "tapering off into winding tracks" — Norwood Road among them. The land was carved among manors whose boundaries ran along or across the road itself: part of the Manor of Levehurst lay to its east, a detached portion of the Manor of Leigham Court in the parish of Streatham was bounded by Norwood Road, Croxted Road and Thurlow Park Road, and the Manor of Levehurst proper was roughly bounded by Leigham Vale, Norwood Road, the parish boundary and a line south of Canterbury Grove.
The dominant local landowner was Lord Thurlow, who purchased Brockwell Green Farm in 1785 and, though his trustees later obtained an improvement Act for the road in 1809, chose to live not in his grand Henry Holland-designed mansion but in the modest Knight's Hill Farm nearby, from 1792 until 1806. By then the road, recorded on an 1806 map as running through Lord Thurlow's Copyhold, was still lonely enough that, by the 1840s, the Survey of London records a youth dreading the walk home from work in London along its unfrequented length after dark.
Change came at mid-century. In 1844, some 16 acres called Page's Fields, former copyhold land of the Manor of Lambeth lying between Tulse Hill and Norwood Road, were enfranchised, and a new road, now Trinity Rise, was built connecting Tulse Hill to Norwood Road. Brockwell Hall, standing near the road from at least 1810, and the parkland around it, later Brockwell Park, gave the western side of the road its open outlook by 1891. Urbanisation followed the turnpike itself: the terrace at Nos. 543–551, Lambeth Council's appraisal records, dates from the decades around the mid-19th century, part of the general building-up of the old turnpike route.
Church-building marked the road's Victorian maturity. Roupell Park Methodist Church, its foundation stone laid on 11 June 1879 and the building completed the following year, rose in Early English Gothic style, faced in Kentish ragstone with Bath stone dressings, with a tower and spire at its north-east corner and, from 1888, a public clock.
"tapering off into winding tracks"Survey of London, Vol 26, Norwood: Introduction
As late as the 1840s, the Survey of London records, Norwood Road was so unfrequented that a young worker walking home after dark from London along it did so with dread — a striking contrast to the built-up terraces that would soon follow.
Culture
The road's most distinctive built survivals sit at either end of its Victorian development. Northward, Roupell Park Methodist Church remains the road's principal Gothic set-piece, its Kentish ragstone spire rising above the rooflines since 1880. Domestic architecture tells its own story: Nos. 119 and 121, standing on land that had been part of Brockwell Green Farm before Lord Thurlow bought it in 1785, form a paired composition whose stuccoed, two-storey fronts over a semi-basement the Survey of London links to the influence of the French neoclassical architect Ledoux — a rare instance of Continental taste reaching this corner of the road. Both houses and the cemetery gateway sit within or close to the West Norwood Conservation Area, which Lambeth Council's appraisal defines as running along Norwood Road and bounded further by Chestnut Road, Martell Road, Durban Road, Auckland Hill and Hannen Road.
People
Lord Thurlow dominates the road's early history without ever quite living grandly upon it. Having bought Brockwell Green Farm in 1785, he commissioned Henry Holland to design a substantial mansion, yet the Survey of London records that between 1792 and 1806 he preferred the small Knight's Hill Farm nearby. It was Thurlow's trustees who obtained the 1809 Act of Parliament that improved the road itself.
Later builders and designers left their names on individual structures rather than on the road as a whole. William Tite designed the ragstone gateway into the former South Metropolitan Cemetery, its heraldic panels naming the Sees of Canterbury and Winchester. The unnamed builders of Nos. 119 and 121 worked, the Survey of London suggests, under the stylistic influence of Ledoux, the French neoclassical architect, giving the pair of villas their distinctive stuccoed severity.
One name is preserved in cast iron rather than stone: Mrs Woodford Fawcett, commemorated by the 1896 drinking fountain that still stands on the traffic island where Norwood Road meets Norwood High Street and Knight's Hill — a "focal point," Lambeth Council's conservation appraisal calls it, of that busy junction.
Recent Times
Recognition of the road's older fabric came in stages. No. 242 Norwood Road was listed Grade II in 1975, Historic England's National Heritage List records, followed in 1986 by the Ledoux-influenced pair at Nos. 119 and 121. Both listings sit within the wider West Norwood Conservation Area, which Lambeth Council's 2020 character appraisal defines as running along Norwood Road and bounded by Chestnut Road, Martell Road, Durban Road, Auckland Hill and Hannen Road, a designation intended to protect the surviving Georgian and early Victorian frontages against further loss.
The same appraisal draws attention to the terrace at Nos. 543–551, dating from the decades around the mid-19th century, as physical evidence of how the old Turnpike to Croydon was steadily built up once the road ceased to be the lonely lane of the 1840s. Little from the pre-Victorian countryside survives directly on the road itself besides these listed fragments and the cemetery gateway; Brockwell Hall and its park, once visible from the road, now belong more to the story of the neighbouring park than to Norwood Road itself.
Today
Norwood Road today runs as the spine connecting Herne Hill and Tulse Hill in the north to the historic core of West Norwood in the south, where it meets Norwood High Street and Knight's Hill beneath St Luke's Church. It carries a mixed frontage: Regency villas, Victorian terraces raised as the old turnpike urbanised, a Gothic former Methodist church, and the ragstone gateway to the old cemetery, all folded into the West Norwood Conservation Area that Lambeth Council now safeguards. The 1896 drinking fountain to Mrs Woodford Fawcett still marks the junction it was built for, and Brockwell Park remains close by to the west, the descendant of the parkland that once bordered the road's rural stretch.
On the Map
Norwood Road Then & Now
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is it called Norwood Road?
The road takes its name from Norwood itself, the Survey of London explains, a name derived from the North Wood that once covered the hilly country of north Croydon and southern Lambeth. The road was earlier known by other names, including Night's Hill Lane and Church Road, before "Norwood Road" appeared on an 1806 map.
What is Norwood Road known for?
Norwood Road is known for its surviving early buildings, including the Grade II listed Regency villas at Nos. 119 and 121, the Gothic former Roupell Park Methodist Church, and William Tite's ragstone gateway into the old South Metropolitan Cemetery, all within the West Norwood Conservation Area.
When was Norwood Road first recorded?
An 1806 map shows the road, already named Norwood Road, running through what was then described as Lord Thurlow's Copyhold, according to Lambeth Council's conservation area appraisal — though the route itself, then called Night's Hill Lane, is older still.