Builder William Hansard developed most of the properties on Nelson Square, with Samuel Pepys Cockerell likely directing the design, per the Survey of London. The construction was swift and systematic. Houses on the north side were completed and occupied by 1808, and the entire square had reached full occupancy by 1814 — a seven-year cycle of development that speaks to confident investment in an emerging residential area south of the Thames.
The architecture reflected fashionable contemporary practice. Residences featured stock brickwork construction with selective stucco ground floors. East and north facades displayed three stories with segmental dormers in mansard roofs, while south and northern sections rose four to five stories without dormers, creating visual variety across the square's faces.
1807
Nelson Square Established
The square is laid out on former Paris Garden manor demesne land; builder William Hansard begins development.
1808
North Side Occupied
Houses on the north side of Nelson Square are completed and occupied.
1814
Square at Full Occupancy
Nelson Square reaches full occupancy as residential development completes.
1814–1815
Shelley at No. 26
Poet Percy Bysshe Shelley takes lodgings at No. 26 on 9 November 1814, moving to Hans Place on 8 February 1815.
1808–1830
Surgeon Charles Aldis
Surgeon Sir Charles Aldis inhabits Nelson Square across two decades: No. 57 from 1808 to 1812, then No. 49 from 1813 to 1830.
1826–1835
Thomas Barnes, Times Editor
Editor of The Times Thomas Barnes lives at the square, first at No. 48, later at No. 49.
1891
Women's University Settlement
The Women's University Settlement establishes operations at Nos. 44–47 Nelson Square.
1940–41
Blitz Damage
Most of the square's building stock is destroyed or damaged by bombing.
Early 1950s
Council Redevelopment
The site is cleared for new council blocks; only four original houses (Nos. 44–47) survive.
The square quickly attracted residents of standing. Percy Bysshe Shelley took lodgings at No. 26 on 9 November 1814 as a tenant of Thomas Lillo, moving on to Hans Place on 8 February 1815, a period when financial strain pressed upon him. Surgeon Sir Charles Aldis inhabited the square across more than two decades: No. 57 from 1808 to 1812, then No. 49 from 1813 to 1830. Thomas Barnes, editor of The Times, lived at No. 48 from 1826 to 1831, then moved to No. 49, where he remained until 1835 — a man at the centre of the nation's political discourse making his home on this South London square.
The nineteenth century saw the square evolve from residential stronghold to institutional presence. By 1891, the Women's University Settlement had established itself at Nos. 44–47 Nelson Square, bringing educational and social work to the area.
The Second World War left its mark. Most of the building stock in and around Nelson Square was destroyed or damaged by bombing in 1940–41, according to a dedicated local-history record drawing on London Metropolitan Archives photographs and National Archives compulsory-purchase documents; some surviving buildings remained in use until the site was cleared for new council blocks in the early 1950s. The South London Press, reporting on the redevelopment in 1951, contrasted the new ten-storey flats with the square's Georgian past in characteristically colourful terms: "Where Georgian dandies once strolled with their silver-knobbed canes." Only four of the original houses survive today — the same Nos. 44–47 that had housed the Women's University Settlement since 1891.