Time Walk
From Parish Church to Concert Hall




Walk into Trinity Church Square today and you enter a Regency garden enclosure that looks much as it did two centuries ago — yellow stock brick terraces, a central church, stone gate piers with their original voluted ornament. Step inside the church itself, though, and the time travel stops. The building that opened as a parish church in 1826 is now Henry Wood Hall, a rehearsal and recording space where orchestras prepare for performance. The square's architecture is frozen in 1832; its use has moved into the modern world.
Name Origin
Named for the Church at Its Heart
Trinity Church Square is named for Holy Trinity Church, the building that dominates the garden enclosure at its centre. The square was formerly known simply as Trinity Square, per Wikipedia. The naming is straightforward — in the Georgian and Regency eras, garden squares typically took their identity from their focal building, and Trinity's status as the parish church gave it clear claim to lend its name to the whole enclosure.
History
Ten Years to Build, Two Centuries to Live
Plans for laying out Trinity Square were discussed in 1822, per the Survey of London. Development began the same year: three houses on the north side of Great Suffolk Street East (now numbered 60–62 Trinity Church Square) were already built and occupied by 1823. The formal development scheme came into motion when William Chadwick made a definite application for a building lease of the plot in 1824. Chadwick proposed to start work on the north-west side in spring 1825, and by January 1826, he reported that all the brickwork on that side was complete. Houses on the south-east side began in May 1826, with most of the north-west properties roofed by year's end. The last section — the south-west side — was not finished until around 1832.
All the houses in the square follow a consistent design: three storeys with basements and attics, built of yellow stock brick with stuccoed rusticated ground storeys. Parapets carry cornices and blocking courses, with a continuous wide band linking them across the terrace. The effect is one of unified Regency domesticity, all sixty-eight houses numbered consecutively around the square, creating an architectural whole that still reads as such today.
The Church at the Centre
Holy Trinity Church was built in 1824, standing at the centre of the garden enclosure with its own stone boundary piers and railings. The building served as the parish church of the parish of Holy Trinity from 1826 onwards. Regular worship appears to have ended in the early 1960s, and the church was formally declared redundant in 1968. In 1975, it was converted into Henry Wood Hall, an orchestral rehearsal and recording venue, where it has served for nearly fifty years.
The church's high altar was not discarded: it now stands at St Agatha's in Landport. The original stone gate piers of the garden enclosure, with their voluted fret ornament and acroteria finials, remain in place, though most of the railings were removed during the Second World War.
The Mystery of the King's Statue
At the centre of the garden stands a statue of a king on a stone plinth, Grade II listed. The work has a complicated history. The statue appears in an engraving by Whittock published in Allen's Complete History of the County of Surrey in 1830, showing it already in place. Analysis in 2021 revealed that the top part is Coade stone, but the legs are Roman in origin and made of Bath stone — a composite figure assembled from pieces of different ages and origins.
Scholarship has proposed two theories about its provenance. One holds that it is one of eight medieval statues from the north end towers of Westminster Hall, dating to around the late 14th century. The alternative suggests it is one of a pair representing Alfred the Great and Edward the Black Prince, made for the garden of Carlton House in the 18th century. Both remain speculative, and the true identity of the statue — and how it came to stand in this Southwark square — remains uncertain.
Between 1861 and 1926, Lazenby's pickle factory occupied the ground between Trinity Church Square and the adjoining Merrick Square, a reminder that industrial London sometimes pressed close to residential quarters.
Culture
Residents and Rehearsals
Trinity Church Square housed several notable residents in its early decades. Architect John Belcher, born in 1841, lived at no. 60 with his father (also an architect) from 1849 to 1852 — formative years in his own architectural education. Publisher and bookseller William Tegg, who lived at no. 11 from 1848 to 1852, came from a publishing family; his father Thomas Tegg (1776–1845) had established himself as a bookseller before William's time at the square. Thomas Binney, the English Congregationalist divine, was resident at no. 40 from 1831 to 1832, and later moved to no. 5 Trinity Church Square, making it one of the addresses associated with religious life in the area.
The square itself was listed as Grade III in the statutory list of buildings of architectural or historic interest in the Borough of Southwark in 1950, a recognition of its unified Regency character and its place in the development of this part of Newington. That listing encompasses all 68 consecutively numbered houses. The north side of Trinity Street between Swan Street and Globe Street forms an integral part of the square architecturally and administratively, still numbered 45–68 within it.
Today
A Preserved Georgian Enclosure
Trinity Church Square remains a residential garden square, its terraces and central church little altered in their external form since the 1830s. The stone boundary of the church garden, though stripped of most of its railings during the Second World War, still frames the space with its original gate piers. Inside the church, the building's sacred function has given way to artistic work — rehearsals and recordings rather than services — yet the architecture itself preserves both pasts: a Regency parish church, now a modern concert hall, standing exactly where it was placed in 1824.
On the Map
Trinity Church Square Then & Now
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is it called Trinity Church Square?
The square takes its name from Holy Trinity Church, which stands at its centre. The church was built in 1824 and opened as the parish church in 1826. The square was formerly known simply as Trinity Square, per the Survey of London. Garden squares typically took their names from their focal building, and Trinity's status as the parish church made it the natural namesake for the whole enclosure.
What happened to Holy Trinity Church?
Holy Trinity Church served as the parish church from 1826 until regular worship ended in the early 1960s. It was formally declared redundant in 1968. In 1975, it was converted into Henry Wood Hall, an orchestral rehearsal and recording venue, where it remains in use today. The church's high altar was relocated to St Agatha's in Landport.
Who was the developer of Trinity Church Square?
William Chadwick led the development of Trinity Church Square. He made a definite application for a building lease in 1824 and began construction on the north-west side in spring 1825. The square was built in stages, with the north-west side completed by January 1826, the south-east side begun in May 1826, and the final south-west side finished around 1832.
What is the mystery of the statue?
A Grade II listed statue of a king stands in the garden at the square's centre. The figure appears in an 1830 engraving, but its true origin is uncertain. It is made of composite materials: Coade stone on the upper part and Roman Bath stone on the legs. Scholars have proposed it may be either one of eight medieval statues from Westminster Hall (circa late 14th century) or one of a pair made for Carlton House in the 18th century, but both theories remain unconfirmed.